Ross never says that. I wish he would though, because I’m the queen of lists. When I was a kid, I used to make lists of everything – people in my class, stuffed animals, things I wanted to do when I grew up, household items required for my future house (in extreme detail, I’ll have you know), places I wanted to travel…My teachers thought it was super weird, and they told my parents, and they made me stop.
Now I make lists of pretty much everything else: things to do, groceries, movies to see, apps to buy…and having an iPhone has made my life so much better because now there are apps for all the lists I need in my life. (Sidebar: I pretty much only have list-making apps, such as MealBoard for menu planning, KnitMinder for knitting-related lists, Cyclemeter, which is a list of all the bicycle rides I’ve gone on…you get the idea.) I also have a deep and enduring fondness for databases, but I’ll leave that for another post.
So when Ross asked me to make a list for him it didn’t just make my day….it made my week, and possibly my year. You see, it’s one thing to know that you’re great at making lists, but when your partner asks you to do it, you know you’ve really taken your list-making to a whole new level.
And you know what this list was about? Places that we would go / things we would do IF HE BOUGHT A NEW BICYCLE. So this was not only a list, but a list of bicycle related activities to do together!!! The list involves LINUS!!!! I’m not sure I’m properly conveying my excitement.
Anyway, here is the list:
1. Festivals, like FolkFest, BluesFest, the Ottawa writers’ festival.
2. Eating places other than Chez Lucien, like on Preston street, Somerset street, and Westboro.
3. Visiting Steve and Sarah in Westboro. (This activity combines several favourite things, I’ll have you know!)
4. The Main street market when it’s too hot to walk Nugget there (it’s about 7km away, and while a great walk for him, when it’s over about 20 degrees, he gets way too warm.)
5. The Experimental Farm and various other museums.
6. Brunch at Fraser Cafe. Now technically, we can walk there, but I can’t actually walk there without having eaten something, and if I eat something, even if it’s small, then I don’t want to go out for brunch. Hence the impossibility of walking to the Fraser Cafe.
7. Become regulars at the Manx. This is a full activity, separate from item 2.
That was about as far as I got with the list before Ross said that he would buy a bike.
And that’s how we got Chaz.
Listmaking saves the day. Again.