One of my favourite things this time of year is the top ten lists that permeate the internet. I love reading about the things that people have found throughout the year – the apps they like, the tech they’ve bought, or the books they’ve read. So here’s my top ten. It’s not really a themed list, but rather a collection of my favourite things.
1. The whole vegan thing. I really can’t explain adequately how much better I feel. I have more energy, a clearer head, I’m enjoying my practice more. Generally feeling amazing, and I attribute it to the vegan diet I adopted in August.
2. Cookbook. On a related note, I think my favourite cookbook of the year is Veganomicon. A close second is vegan yum yum. Both are fantastic, with well-tested recipes that always work out the way they say they will.
3. Book. My favourite book I read this year was David Foster Wallace’s biography. I didn’t realize how much I could enjoy a well-written biography. For any fan of his work, it’s a must read. And now I’m a fan of his biographer’s work.
4. Asana. Marchyasana D. After 9 years of practice I can finally bind in this (see item 1), and it feels amazing. I can breathe and stretch here too. A nice deep twist for spine health.
5. Bike stuff. Gotta go with my winter tires here. They make biking a lot safer and more fun in the winter. I can stop well on ice and have a lot more control. And now Linus and I can be super hard core and bike all season without fear!
6. Best trip. Well, since we travelled to BC twice this year, I’m going to have to go with that. But both trips were really fun! We went out once to visit Ross’s family, and I accompanied Ross on a work trip the second time. Love Vancouver, and love BC in general.
7. Volunteer stuff. While I did a couple of volunteer activities, my favourite has to be fostering Gracie. She was a sweet little girl dog who was super rewarding to foster. I’m looking forward to fostering again in the new year. I really liked having her around, even if she did scream like a teradactyl when she was crated.
8. Favourite project. This year I completed my 108photographs project. Okay, so it’s not quite complete complete (stay tuned for an update on that), but I did pull it all together and get it up on the web, so I’m quite proud of that. Baby steps, people.
9. Favourite restaurant. This is a bit of a toss up. I tried a lot of really great vegan and vegetarian restaurants. However, I’m going to have to go with my tried and true favourite since they really stepped up their game this year. Our pub, Chez Lucien, has four things on their menu (which is quite small, as many of you know) that are vegan, or can be made vegan. This made my life so much better. There’s the chilli, the protein salad, the veggie burger (minus the cheese), and the protein pasta can be adapted easily. So nice to go for a low-key meal and know that there’s something for me to eat!
10. Best laid plans. I managed to get my boss to sign my leave with income averaging, so I’m only going to work 9 months in 2013. Amazing! It’s part of my plan to live more fully now instead of waiting until I retire. You never know what can happen, so I say carpe diem, or as the kids say these days, YOLO. (That one’s for you, Tiff)
This was a really nice exercise – I encourage all of you to do this! I’d love to read about what your favourite things from the year were!!